Update your device wirelessly (available in iOS 5 and later)
1. Ensure your device is connected to a power source. To avoid potential data costs connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
2. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. iOS will automatically check for available updates. Available updates download automatically if your device is connected to Wi-Fi and a power source.
3. If an update is available* you can tap Download to download the update.
4. After the download has completed tap Install to update your iOS.
5. If you leave the update to download in the background, once the download has finished you will receive a notification saying an update is available for your device. Tapping Details will take you to Settings > General > Software Update. Tap Install Now to install the iOS update. If you decide to leave the installation for later Settings will display notification badge until the update has been installed.
Update your device using iTunes
1. Ensure that you’re using the latest version of iTunes.
2. Connect your device to your computer using the included USB cable.
3. After iTunes opens, select your device when it appears in iTunes under Devices.
4. Click “Check for Update” in the Summary pane to check for available updates.
5. If an update is available, iTunes prompts you to download and install the update. Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.